Legal Issues: Off-Label Uses
Legal, ethical and informed consent considerations when using products off-label. By Alex R. Thiersch, JD Using pharmaceuticals “off-label”-that is, in ways that are not specified by the United States Food and Drug Administration -is technically legal but somewhat controversial in aesthetic medicine. Decisions regarding off-label usage should be based on current standards of care, the best interest of the patient, and your own training and expertise within the medical field. Following are some important points to consider when examining the off-label use of prescription products in your practice.
The Legality of Off-Label Usage
Medical boards-not the FDA-govern the practice of medicine. So once the FDA approves a product, it is up to the physician to determine how to use that particular drug.
“To be very, very clear, the FDA has no ability-zero ability-to have any control over how a physician practices medicine,” says Bradford Adatto, partner for ByrdAdatto, a Dallas-based healthcare and business law...
The last Posts from "Surgical Aesthetics Magazine"
- Way To Grow
- Cynosure Launches TempSure Vitalia For Vaginal Rejuvenation
- ASLMS Laser Aesthetics Course Coming to California in November
- Free Fat Grafts Spur Regeneration of Adipose Tissue
- Legal Issues: Restrictive Covenants
- New Review Highlights Best Candidates for Absorbable Suture Suspension
- Acoustic Shock Wave Therapy Enhances Laser Tattoo Removal Outcomes
- Histogen Begins Clinical Trial for Female Hair Loss
- Global Injections
- Merz North America Appoints New CFO
- Real Time Simulation Software For Breast Procedures Now Available
- Nonablative RF Treatments Increase Skin Elasticity
- Thomas Freyman Joins Allergan Board of Directors
- Dermatology Medical Scribe Training Now Available
- Two Things That Reduce Medical Malpractice Claims in Plastic Surgery
- Topical Brimonidine Following IPL Offers Same Efficacy With Less Erythema
- Next Generation Imaging
- Lightweight Sun Protection
- Over The Counter Eczema Care
- Automated Before and Afters
The headlines of Master Doctor
Novel Way to Boost Colorectal Cancer Screening
Colorectal cancer screening tests mailed to patients insured by Medicaid increased screening rates for this population, observe researchers seeking to increase screening rates...
For Effective Diagnosis of Multiple Myeloma Test the Urine and Blood
Multiple myeloma can be detected by urine test as well as the serum of our blood, say pathologists. Urine test though an age-old diagnostic tool is still very effective in...
Migraine May Increase Ear Disorders
Increased risk of developing ear disorders like tinnitus is seen in people with chronic migraines when compared to those without a headache.
Massive Genome Havoc in Breast Cancer Revealed
One of the most detailed maps ever made of structural variations in a cancer cell's genome has been revealed by researchers.
Intensive Care Patients' Muscles Unable to Use Fats for Energy: Study
Muscle wasting increases length of intensive care unit stay and mortality, and hence it is important that we identify better ways to ensure that nutrition and rehabilitation...
Are your hands always cold? If so, you may need more muscle mass
Have you ever wondered why your hands always get cold? It may be because you need more muscle mass. A study published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology revealed...
The neuroscience behind overeating: How our brain responds in anticipation...
Harvard neuroscientists have identified a group of neurons in the brain that prepares the body for consumption of food and drink. These neurons release a fast-acting hormone...
What Happened When I Stopped Making Meals For My Family
Drastic behaviors call for drastic measures. My children's reactions ranged from “Oh no you didn't!” to “What does this mean?” as they stared dumbfounded at the sign posted on...
The Mama Dragons Are Using Fiery And Faith-Based Love To Protect Their LGBTQ...
Dragons are fierce, magical, and unique. They evoke curiosity, fear, and pride. The Mama Dragons who are fighting for the lives of their LGBTQ+ children are all of these...
What That Dirty Diaper Says About Your Baby
As a new parent, you likely spend more time at your changing table than you might have anticipated. And while this may be your least favorite task, it's surely one of the most...