What It Feels Like When Your Children Are Born With Health Issues
When my son was diagnosed with hydronephrosis in utero, I panicked. I had never heard of hydronephrosis and didn't realize that kidneys could have fluid on them let alone it lead to long-term health consequences. Medical professionals reassured me that his diagnosis was not reflective of anything that I had done the wrong way it was just something that happened with children from time to time.
When your child is born with health issues, it's hard not to blame yourself. Any mother whose child has a health condition will tell you we feel some level of responsibility even when it is illogical to do so. You wonder if you would've missed one less prenatal vitamin would things have gone differently. Or perhaps that glass of wine you had the week before finding out you were pregnant is what's the blame. You go through a lot of things that don't make sense when you say them out loud but you need someone to blame. Most often, you'll blame yourself.
It took a while, but with time I stopped this feeling the...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- How Motherhood Ruined My Relationship With My Own Mother
- 6 Practical Tips For IEP Meetings
- Divorce Parties Are A Thing And They Are Brilliant
- Furloughed Workers In Need Of Help Have Started 1,500 GoFundMe Pages
- Study Finds SAHMs Should Make $160k A Year Caring For Their Kids
- Move That Bus! ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Is Getting An HGTV Reboot
- Why I Stopped Talking Bad About Myself In Front Of My Daughter
- What NOT To Do When Someone You Know Has The Stomach Virus
- How To Tell If Your Kids' Montesorri School Is The Real Deal
- Dad With Autism Creates Autcraft - A Safe Minecraft Server For Those On The Spectrum
- Prince Harry Hugs A Fellow Redhead Thanks To Her Attention-Grabbing Sign
- You Need This Adorable ‘Beauty And The Beast' Dishware In Your Life
- Meghan Markle Reacted Very Graciously To Being Called A ‘Fat Lady'
- Here's What Chris Pratt Texted Anna Faris After Proposing To His Girlfriend
- Screw Flowers, THIS Is The Kind Of Bouquet Women Want For Valentine's Day
- What To Keep In Mind With That ‘How Did You Age' Challenge
- Why We Need LGBTQ Inclusive Sex Education Curriculums In Schools
- This Is What It Means To Be Nonbinary
- Dad Admits Parenting Is ‘Rarely Fun' And People Have Thoughts
- Gymboree Is Closing All 900 Of Its Stores
The headlines of Master Doctor
Keeping active in old age may protect against dementia, study finds
A new study from Rush University Medical Center has found that elderly adults who moved more than average, if with early signs of dementia, had better memory and thinking skills.
High tech wearable sensor can detect hidden anxiety and depression in young...
University of Vermont scientists have developed a new movement sensor and algorithm that can interpret whether a child's movements indicate a mood disorder in seconds, instead...
Why dining with friends makes you eat less: You're less interested in the...
Stanford Medicine scientists found that the brain circuit responsible for feeding behavior interacts with the one stimulated by social interaction - and that they could...
A pill for loneliness? Scientists race to treat the condition that can raise...
Among the scientists seeking to treat loneliness is University of Chicago neuroscientist Dr Stephanie Cacioppo, who is developing a steroid compound that shows promise to ease...
Furloughed Workers In Need Of Help Have Started 1,500 GoFundMe Pages
While Trump continues the government shutdown for his wall funding, furloughed workers are crowdsourcing money for bills on GoFundMe As the partial government shutdown...
The medicinal benefits of L-carnitine include natural hormone regulation
L-carnitine isn't just for losing weight, as patients with diabetes might find them beneficial for managing the condition, according to researchers. A study published in the...
Quitting Facebook can significantly improve your mental health, researchers...
When you're bored at home or work, you probably entertain yourself by browsing Facebook. After all, it lets you see what your friends, old classmates and new acquaintances, or...
Low FODMAP diet may help reduce exercise-caused tummy issues
Athletes often cite gastrointestinal complaints as a cause of underperformance in endurance events. New research suggests that a diet low in FODMAP may help prevent this.
OxyContin maker promised 'a blizzard of prescriptions that will bury the...
OxyContin and Purdue Pharma are at the center of lawsuits across the country accusing the drug industry of being responsible for an opioid crisis that killed 72,000 Americans...
Drinking trendy bone broth like Gwyneth Paltrow could lower blood pressure
A study by the Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology in Valencia found that simmering pig bones for as little as 20 minutes releases proteins that block enzymes that...