I Kept A Gratitude Journal For A Year And This Is What I Learned
Back in September of 2017, I was dealing with shit-ton of anxiety. I have general anxiety and panic disorder, so anxiety is kind of a given for me. But during this period of time, things were particularly intense. I was having some ongoing, heated conflicts with my parents; my husband was dealing with unprecedented stress from his job and bringing it home; and financial woes seemed to be an everyday occurrence for me and my family.
As I was discussing all this with my therapist, she suggested something that I had never considered before, especially as an antidote to anxiety. “Why don't you start a gratitude journal?” she said. “Nothing fancy, just write down a little something you feel grateful for each day.”
I had heard about the benefits of practicing gratitude - how it can lower stress, boost your mood, and even help you sleep better. But when my therapist suggested it, I thought it was kind of a silly idea at first.
As much of a wreck as I can be at times, I think of myself as someone who is generally...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- Most Stuf Oreos Are Officially Here And Just Take Our Money
- Woman Perfectly Shuts Down Jiffy Lube Employee Who Texted Her Inappropriately
- Twitter's Having A Blast Trolling This Guy Who Threw His Gillette Razor In The Toilet
- Federal Employees Are Using Food Banks To Feed Their Families During Shutdown
- The Heartbreaking Connection I Had With A Girl Next To Me On The Plane
- Here's What To Know About Thalassophobia Because You Probably Have It
- When Report Cards Go Home On A Friday, Physical Abuse Goes Up
- WHO Names Anti-Vax Movement As A Top 10 Health Threat Of 2019
- The Flu Poses Serious Risks To Pregnant Women And Their Babies
- Mariah Carey's '10 Year Challenge' Post Is Your New Life Coach
- Peeps Cereal Exists And Sounds Utterly Disgusting - Your Kids Will Def Want It
- Mahershala Ali Putting His Career On Hold So His Wife Can Shine Is HusbandGoals
- How Motherhood Ruined My Relationship With My Own Mother
- 6 Practical Tips For IEP Meetings
- Divorce Parties Are A Thing And They Are Brilliant
- Furloughed Workers In Need Of Help Have Started 1,500 GoFundMe Pages
- Study Finds SAHMs Should Make $160k A Year Caring For Their Kids
- Move That Bus! ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Is Getting An HGTV Reboot
- Why I Stopped Talking Bad About Myself In Front Of My Daughter
- What NOT To Do When Someone You Know Has The Stomach Virus
The headlines of Master Doctor
Keep Moving to Keep Brain Sharp in Old Age
Older people who were physically active kept their minds sharp, even if their brains showed signs of lesions or other markers linked to Alzheimer's disease or other dementias...
Another drop in opioid prescribing - but progress is slow in rural areas...
Doctors prescribe 14 percent fewer opioids to their patients in the US now than they did in 2014, a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study found - but rural...
Opioids linked to birth defect of babies born with intestines hanging...
Roughly 1,800 such cases are seen in the US each year, but the number has been rising and officials don't know why. Now, the CDC believes there could be a link with opioids...
New York City fentanyl deaths rose 3,000% in just 3 years, CDC figures reveal
The new stats, released today, reveal overall drug deaths in New York City almost doubled, rocketing 81 percent, between 2014 and 2017 - driven by a 3,000-percent increase in...
WHO Says Anti-Vaxxers Are Global Health Threat
The movement against vaccinations has taken hold in a number of countries, including the United States, making anti-vaxxers are among the top 10 health threats facing the world...
Study: 1 in 4 Antibiotic Prescriptions Not Needed
More than 23 percent of prescriptions studied were inappropriate, or not medically justified, researchers said. The inappropriate prescriptions were mostly for colds, chest...
Experts: People Must Change Diets to Save Earth
People will need to eat half as much sugar and red meat as now, and double the amount of plant-based foods they eat, including nuts, fruits, vegetables and legumes, to make...
Flu piles pressure on over-stretched NHS hospitals as the outbreak KILLS 26...
Public Health England figures today revealed the number of people visiting their GP about flu-like symptoms rose by a third in just a week, with cases in the UK doubling since...
Good Protein Goes Rogue Helps Zika Virus
A cellular protein known to interact with invading viruses has been found to be actually helping zika virus in its infection process, finds a new study.
Keep your eyesight healthy well beyond your sunset years with the...
Nutritionists across the world highly recommend the Mediterranean diet, and research is finding more reasons to follow it. A team of scientists from the University of Bordeaux...