Domestic Violence Shelters Forced To Cut Services During Government Shutdown
Domestic violence shelters are being forced to cut down on services because of government shutdown
The government shutdown has turned into the longest in United States history, with zero end in sight. We're already seeing the heartbreaking effects this is having on Americans across the country, including significant cutbacks at domestic violence shelters, which rely largely on federal funds for support.
Over in West Memphis, Cassie Rutledge, executive director at Families in Transition, is concerned that cutbacks at the shelter will force vulnerable residents to return to their abusers (“We will see an increase of death-related events due to abuse,” she told Fox13 ). In Colorado, workers in shelters are buying supplies on their own dime. Some state programs are “freezing buying supplies,” including food for residents, according to Politico .
And staffers at Raphael House, a shelter in Portland, are currently bracing for impact.
“We connect survivors with a variety of critical services and systems, including...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- Government Shutdown Will Affect How You Receive Your SNAP Benefits
- This Mother's Last Words Before She And Her Unborn Baby Died Will Haunt You
- CA Governor Defies Trump And Offers Furloughed Workers Unemployment Benefits
- Please Do Not Discipline My Child If I'm Right There
- 5 Honest Thoughts You'll Have When Trying To Conceive
- Why We Need To Take A Different Approach When Teaching Kids To Read
- Why Babies Need Diverse Children's Books
- Dear Fast Food Industry: Enough With The Boy/Girl Toys
- Stop Expecting Black People To Save The Country
- Why I HATE That ‘How Hard Did Aging Hit You' Meme
- There's A Super Blood Wolf Moon Coming This Month
- Why The Gillette Ad Is Important For Dads Trying To Break The Cycle Of Toxic Masculinity
- Raising A Child With Strong Faith When You're Not So Sure
- I Have Health Insurance, But I'm Still Drowning In Medical Debt
- Parents Share The Unique Inspiration Behind Their Kids' Names
- ‘Fiver Parties' Are The New Birthday Party Trend That Make Everyone's Life Easier
- A Carmen Sandiego Netflix Series Is Here And It's A 90's Dream Come True
- These '10 Year Challenge' Climate Change Photos Are Absolutely Haunting
- Target's Handing Out $20 Gift Cards For Every $100 Spent On Baby Items
- Margot Robbie's Totally Done With Nosy Questions About When She'll Have A Baby
The headlines of Master Doctor
Stop, Drop, and Pour: Coffee-Mate's New Oat Milk Creamer Is Here to Brighten...
After aptly being named one of the biggest trends of 2019 , oat milk is hitting grocery stores! Whether you've heard your friends talking about making the switch over from...
Study: Marketing to Docs, Opioid Crisis Linked
A county-by-county analysis showed that opioid use increased in places where drug makers focused their marketing efforts to physicians, researchers say.
Frail older people are at greater risk of getting dementia, even when their...
Experts from Dalhousie University in Canada now believe frailty could reduce people's tolerance to brain changes, so that they are more likely to become forgetful.
These '10 Year Challenge' Climate Change Photos Are Absolutely Haunting
These before and after photos proving climate change is definitely happening are devastating The “10 year challenge” has been sweeping social media with people posting pics of...
Raising A Child With Strong Faith When You're Not So Sure
I was making dinner one night when my 3-year-old came up to me with a stack of papers in his hands. He hands me the papers and says “These are to teach you about Jesus. Share...
A National Survey on Interhospital Transport of Children in Cardiac Arrest*
Objectives: To describe the U.S. experience with interhospital transport of children in cardiac arrest undergoing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Design: Self-administered...
Couldn't sleep last night? A cup of cocoa for breakfast can reduce the...
Researchers suggest drinking a cup of cocoa after a night of sleeplessness after conducting a study that concluded that flavanol-rich cocoa can reduce the risk of the negative...
PROOF Google stole the 2018 election for Democrats by switching millions of...
Since Nov. 9, 2016, the day after the presidential election, Democrats have accused POTUS Donald Trump and his campaign of conspiring with Russia to “steal the election” from...
Keeping an aging brain sharp and avoiding late-life depression may involve...
Aging is a very scary part of life since it is associated with an increased risk of health problems like mild cognitive impairment, dementia, Alzheimer's, and depression...
Already Given Up Your New Year's Resolutions? These Memes Will Make You Feel...
Jan. 1 is usually a time when you get all psyched to make changes toward a healthier, happier you, inside and out. You vow to hit the gym more, drink more water , meditate...