Black Students Who Have Black Teachers Are More Likely To Go To College
Black educators serve as role models for black students - because representation matters
A recent study finds that black students who have just one black teacher show an increased desire to go to college and a greater likelihood of enrolling in college altogether. Because representation matters. Big time.
The achievement gap between white students and students of color has barely narrowed during the last 50 years, despite any attempts at progress or academic acknowledgment of discrepancies between the two. That is, at best, a grim result of a half-century of work.
The study in question, conducted by the National Bureau of Economic Research , shows that students who have a black teacher while in school are also less likely to drop out and more likely to take the steps to make a college education a reality.
Specifically, the results show that a black student in elementary school is 13 percent more likely to enroll in college than their peers who did not have any black teachers. Students who had two black...
The last Posts from "Scary Mommy"
- Most Stuf Oreos Are Officially Here And Just Take Our Money
- Woman Perfectly Shuts Down Jiffy Lube Employee Who Texted Her Inappropriately
- Twitter's Having A Blast Trolling This Guy Who Threw His Gillette Razor In The Toilet
- Federal Employees Are Using Food Banks To Feed Their Families During Shutdown
- The Heartbreaking Connection I Had With A Girl Next To Me On The Plane
- Here's What To Know About Thalassophobia Because You Probably Have It
- When Report Cards Go Home On A Friday, Physical Abuse Goes Up
- WHO Names Anti-Vax Movement As A Top 10 Health Threat Of 2019
- The Flu Poses Serious Risks To Pregnant Women And Their Babies
- Mariah Carey's '10 Year Challenge' Post Is Your New Life Coach
- Peeps Cereal Exists And Sounds Utterly Disgusting - Your Kids Will Def Want It
- Mahershala Ali Putting His Career On Hold So His Wife Can Shine Is HusbandGoals
- How Motherhood Ruined My Relationship With My Own Mother
- 6 Practical Tips For IEP Meetings
- Divorce Parties Are A Thing And They Are Brilliant
- Furloughed Workers In Need Of Help Have Started 1,500 GoFundMe Pages
- Study Finds SAHMs Should Make $160k A Year Caring For Their Kids
- Move That Bus! ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' Is Getting An HGTV Reboot
- Why I Stopped Talking Bad About Myself In Front Of My Daughter
- What NOT To Do When Someone You Know Has The Stomach Virus
The headlines of Master Doctor
Opioid Use in Pregnancy Linked to Birth Defects?
Researchers recently found that counties that had higher rates of opioid prescribing had nearly two times more babies born with their intestines outside of their bodies, a...
Keep Moving to Keep Brain Sharp in Old Age
Older people who were physically active kept their minds sharp, even if their brains showed signs of lesions or other markers linked to Alzheimer's disease or other dementias...
Another drop in opioid prescribing - but progress is slow in rural areas...
Doctors prescribe 14 percent fewer opioids to their patients in the US now than they did in 2014, a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study found - but rural...
New York City fentanyl deaths rose 3,000% in just 3 years, CDC figures reveal
The new stats, released today, reveal overall drug deaths in New York City almost doubled, rocketing 81 percent, between 2014 and 2017 - driven by a 3,000-percent increase in...
Study: 1 in 4 Antibiotic Prescriptions Not Needed
More than 23 percent of prescriptions studied were inappropriate, or not medically justified, researchers said. The inappropriate prescriptions were mostly for colds, chest...
Experts: People Must Change Diets to Save Earth
People will need to eat half as much sugar and red meat as now, and double the amount of plant-based foods they eat, including nuts, fruits, vegetables and legumes, to make...
WHO Names Anti-Vax Movement As A Top 10 Health Threat Of 2019
The anti-vax movement is causing worldwide concern Each year, the World Health Organization releases a list of top health threats facing our world, which is used to form...
The Flu Poses Serious Risks To Pregnant Women And Their Babies
The flu is much more than just a bad cold. Hundreds of thousands of people are hospitalized each year due to the flu, and last year alone, 79,400 deaths were attributed to...
Good Protein Goes Rogue Helps Zika Virus
A cellular protein known to interact with invading viruses has been found to be actually helping zika virus in its infection process, finds a new study.
Keep your eyesight healthy well beyond your sunset years with the...
Nutritionists across the world highly recommend the Mediterranean diet, and research is finding more reasons to follow it. A team of scientists from the University of Bordeaux...