• Subacute Gummy Vitamin Overdose as a Rare Manifestation of Child Neglect

    8 days ago - By Pediatric Emergency Care

    We present a case of a 20-month-old girl who presented to the emergency department with anorexia, progressive weakness, and lethargy who was found to have severe hypercalcemia and vitamin D hypervitaminosis. Further questioning revealed that this was secondary to a subacute toxic ingestion of “L'il Critters” calcium and vitamin D3 gummy vitamins that were being administered by the patient's mother multiple times a day for several weeks or even months. This occurred in the setting of child neglect due to the mother's mental illness. The patient required intensive care unit admission and had...
    Read more ...